MORECAMBE TEMPLE OF LIGHT
THE HISTORY OF THE CHURCH
The History of the Temple of Light dates back to the 1920s
There were a group of Spiritualists in Morecambe who held meetings in their own home. This group wanted to expand giving other like-minded people access to their Spiritualist Fellowship. Also they wanted a more formal and public venue to meet for their services.
To fulfil this wish they pooled their resources, (some mortgaging their homes), and purchased a plot of land on West End Road. The group was led by a lady called Mrs Pyrah.
They built the church which opened on March 8th 1930. We have to remember that this took courage. Practising Spiritualism back then could be frowned on by other religions and by people in general who had little understanding of what Spiritualism truly represents. Mediums could still be tried under the Witchcraft Act of 1735 and the Vagrancy Act of 1824. It wasn't until 1951 that the Fraudulent Mediums Act came into law which implicitly legalises Mediumship.
The church was up and running until 1939 when it was requisitioned by the RAF as a pay office. Everyone had to play their part in the war, even peace loving Spiritualists.
After the War in 1939 the Temple of Light opened it's doors again.
In the 1950s, an extension was built as a Lyceum, with a regular Sunday school for young people. This room is now called the SUNFLOWER ROOM, and is used as a social room. This room is for hire, enquire here.
Over the years and still today, the church has been run by volunteers who do their best to care for the church and the people who come through the doors