MORECAMBE TEMPLE OF LIGHT
THE SEVEN PRINCIPLES
THE SEVEN PRINCIPLES OF SPIRITUALISM are said to have come from Emma Hardinge-Britten through her Mediumship*
1. THE FATHERHOOD of GOD:
2. THE BROTHERHOOD of MAN
3. COMMUNION OF SPIRITS and the MINISTRY of ANGELS
4. CONTINUED EXISTENCE of the HUMAN SOUL
5. PERSONAL RESPONSIBILITY
6. COMPENSATION and RETRIBUTION HEREAFTER for ALL the GOOD and EVIL DEEDS DONE on EARTH
7. ETERNAL PROGRESS OPEN to ALL
for more about Emma Hardinge-Britten go to http://snu.org
THE SPIRITUALIST NATIONAL UNION, SNU WEBSITE - states that the SEVEN PRINCIPLES are not meant to be binding rules or basis of a dogma but to provide individuals, particularly those new to Spiritualism, with a foundation for developing a personal philosophy. This is appealing as it allows us flexibility to develop on our own Spiritual path.
1. THE FATHERHOOD OF GOD: "The core belief of our Religious Philosophy is the acceptance of a Divine Energy. This force whatever name is given to it, has created all there is, and sustains all creation. The Spirit of God exists within and around everything. it is within all of us. We are all children of God, so are part of one family. We acknowledge God as our Father." http://snu.org
It is important to remember there is no dogma here, The principles do not lay down the law. Everyone has a right to their own personal view of what God is to them
2. THE BROTHERHOOD OF MAN: "We are all part of the Universal Creative Force and therefore one family in God. The operation of true Brotherhood throughout the world, would provide betterment to the lives of many, bringing equality, security and peace. Spiritualists try to understand the needs of others and help all people, regardless of race, colour or creed." http://snu.org
The Second Principle is an intrinsic part of Spiritualism It is for us to realise that everyone is connected by a Divine Force that unites us all with Spiritual Energy and love. There should be no barrier to this Divine Love because of borders, poverty, colour or creed. We are all human souls whether we are earthbound or have passed to Spirit. It is on a Soul Level that we all connect in this life and beyond.
3. THE COMMUNION OF SPIRITS AND THE MINISTRY OF ANGELS: "Communion with divine energy is a natural part. Communication with Spirit itself is an inbuilt ability. Spiritualists use this ability for communication directly or via a Medium, between those in the Spirit World and ourselves. This is not supernatural, this is a normal activity. The main purpose of communication is to provide evidence of our philosophy." http://snu.org
The SNU say the main purpose of communication is to provide philosophy. Another prime purpose is to provide evidence of survival of the human soul. This proof of survival provides comfort for the bereaved and grieving when they seek solace in Spiritualist churches and centres. Communication with Spirit is not supernatural. The idea that those who have passed come through to their loved ones is a very natural phenomenon.
THE MINISTRY OF ANGELS "brings enhanced wisdom to enlighten the individual, society and the world in which we live. This includes those who are dedicated to the welfare and service of mankind, bringing inspiration, Guidance and Healing." http://snu.org
4. CONTINUOUS EXISTENCE OF THE HUMAN SOUL: Spirit is a part of the creative force. Scientific study says that energy cannot be destroyed, it can only change its form. We need to know what happens when the present form of energy reaches its viability. The answer is simply that it changes its manifestation. Spirit is energy and is therefore indestructible. On the death of the physical body, the Spirit continues as part of a world which interpenetrates our world in different dimensions. This other world is referred to as the Spirit World. In Spirit Life we have a body which is a replica of our earthly body but is in a much finer form. We are the same individuals in every way with the same personalities and characteristics, and we change only by progression. or otherwise as a result of our own efforts.http://snu.org
This is the core belief of Spiritualism. The Human Soul which exists in all of us on the earth plane, continues to exist after our physical demise. When we make our transition to the Spirit World we leave our physical shell and exist in a different form, that of Spirit. Our soul and our humanity remain intact.
It is important to realise and appreciate that our Soul is an integral part of us which can progress in the here and now. Our Spiritual Growth can be continuous as we tread our earthly path. When we make our transition to the Spirit World we can do so as enlightened beings.
5. PERSONAL RESPONSIBILITY: This principle places responsibility for wrongful thoughts and deeds where it belongs, with the individual. It means being responsible for every aspect of our lives. The use to which we put our lives depends entirely on ourselves. It is not possible for any outside other person or outside influence to interfere with our spiritual development unless we are willing to allow it. As we are given freedom of choice (free will) so we are also given the ability to recognise what is right and wrong for our own spirituality. We are also responsible for all our words, deeds and thoughts. http://snu.org
Personal responsibility is often linked with principle two, the Brotherhood of Man. It makes sense that the way we treat our brothers and sisters is our prime personal responsibility.
6. COMPENSATION AND RETRIBTION HEREAFTER FOR ALL THE GOOD AND EVIL DEEDS DONE ON EARTH: This law echoes the Law of Cause and Effect (what goes around comes around). One cannot be cruel and vindictive towards others and expect love and popularity in return. It should be understood that the compensatory and retributive effects of this law operate now on earth. They do not wait until we begin to live our lives in the Spirit World. With this understanding, we can begin to put right, wrongs that we know we have done before we pass from this life. http://snu.org
As mentioned above, we have personal responsibility to treat others as we wish to be treated ourselves. It is important to realise that we are judges of our own actions. Our misdeeds can be recognised addressed whilst we are still on the earth plane.
7. ETERNAL PROGRESS OPEN TO EVERY HUMAN SOUL: In most humans exists the desire to progress, and to every human soul belongs the power to advance in wisdom and love. All that desire to tread the path that leads to Spiritual wisdom and understanding, are able to do so. The rate of progress is directly proportional to the desire for mental and spiritual understanding. It is the realisation that our soul is a part of eternity, and the road of progress is open any time we choose to walk it, that can help us come to terms with the challenges of the world. http://snu.org
What a wonderful thought, 'our souls are part of eternity', here we are encased in our solid, physical bodies yet our true essence, our souls selves, transcends this shell to become part of infinity.
We are the masters of our Spiritual Destiny. To progress, all we need is the desire and the will. Our Spiritual Journey can begin here and now.